Sunday, September 07, 2008

A fun dinner

Today we invited over a family whom we've long admired. At the last minute I also agreed to drive my good friend to the airport. And then Andy told me he had to go collect fast offerings. So I rushed home from church with all my kids and Baker's best friend Abbey. Fed them, layed them down for a nap and then ran around to make dinner. We didn't have the bread or tomatoes I needed and Andy didn't feel that the ox was that much in the mire, so with no real time, we hurried and made our own baguettes, borrowed tomatoes from the neighbors garden, cooked the chicken, measured out the rice, jumped in the clean car (thanks Andy) and headed off to pick up my friend. Left instructions for Andy to clean the house (which he did fantastically well, Shelby would be proud of his company cleaning) and directions for all the food. Ran to the airport and arrived home minutes before our guests arrived. Quickly threw dinner together, steamed the veggies while we ate everything else and began to talk with this fantastic family. And guess what? This classy woman said she reads my blog. So I'm thinking I need to step it up a bit. But seriously, how about that for validation? Sometimes it turns out that people you think are fantastic and wonderful and beyond approach are just well, normal. (well, not really, they still are the "jocks" and we're still the "chess" people) but really, they are amazing.

And they continue to be among the ranks of those I could learn so much from.

Today I am satisfied being myself and who I am. Baker and his little friend Abbey had massive breakdowns in Sacrament meeting over a half of a crayon, (which was great because Brother Keetch stood up and said in his testimony how children, even if they are crying, are music to his ears. Not missing a beat Andy stood up and said, "If Brother Keetch thinks crying babies are music to his ears than my family provides him an entire symphony. After that, no one could really say mean things to us). Katie learned a new little "angry eyes look", Griffith decided to cry throughout my caveman theme party instead of being with the babysitter, Baker taught the nursery kids that Jesus wants to eat them, Katie slammed her door so many times and told me what a rotten mom I was all week because I make her do homework, I drove a great friend to the airport and then drove away with Baker screaming he missed his best friend and wanted to be with her instead, cried myself to sleep after a minor breakdown earlier in the week, BUT, I also got to experience the power of the priesthood as my best friend and most comfortable other, who I would trust with every low point of my life (aren't I truly lucky?), gave me a blessing and I was able to feel the comfort and power and protection of the Lord and for a moment was completely enveloped in safety. And for that...I would serve any way I can. So for all of you who have asked me this week how I do what I do? This is how and this is why. For those moments when the spirit gives back peace and safety. And that comes through putting yourself out there and serving even when you don't see how you can keep going. And the sad thing is, I realistically could do so much more.

6 comments:

Sullivan Family said...

So did you get the Crayon off you car windows??? I think your kids do these things because it gives them extra attention from you!! You really are a fun, creative, outgoing, super, non stop activity doing mom. What kid wouldn't want that! So who is this Fantastic family you had over for dinner?? GINA

Jeanine said...

You truly do it all Heather! I am impressed at your ability to do so. Your party was so much fun, I am so glad we could come.

Jim and Shelby Caldwell said...

That puts an interesting twist on the blogs to think people are actually reading them -like it's a place you could (and do)inspire others. I usually just post the pics because frankly, it's all the time I figured the interested had for it. But, I must say -I enjoy just the thought ones too. Especially when I get to hear someone else's kids thinks their mom is the meanest. :)

Unknown said...

You truly are incredible, and I love that you put yourself out there! As you know, that is extremely hard for me. you are one of those that inspire me to forget myself and think of others. p.s.
The party was a major blast! The Jake trauma was totally worth it!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I get it...One, you are a wonder woman who makes us look bad, two, there is safety and peace in the power of the priesthood and feeling the Spirit, and three, we can find strength through Christ to do what we have to do and even feel like we can do more....even when I know I will never be able to handle doing all that you do Heather.

Man, your great blog entries are really making me miss you guys.

scottandangelle@gmail.com said...

Yes for the power of the priesthood! Yes for Moms (and Dads) who keep going! Yes for sharing real life! We love you!