Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hello Kitty! Katie has turned 6!

So what would you do if your daughter decided that instead of the Tinkerbell party she'd planned on, she suddenly decided that Hello Kitty is the "new theme?" I assume you'd do like I did. Send your husband off on a marathon of late night volleyball games with the "boys" while you painted larger than life Hello Kitty and Friends. Then after dropping the paintbrush a few times and leaving black freckles across her face, and then trying to wipe them off, creating black smudges, you'd paint the Kitty white as well to hide the mistakes.
You'd wake up early on her birthday (like her daddy) and create her dream Hello Kitty pancake, complete with whip cream and cherry bows and perhaps even use food dye to make long whiskers...which in turn created a lovely blue teeth effect for school.

then you'd create Hello Kitty dream house land and take a million pictures of your beautiful daughter with the new decorations. And of course, you'd dress everyone up like Hello Kitty (note the ears, whiskers and yellow noses)
And why stop at just the family. You'd dress the entire party up with kitty ears and noses. After all, how else can you be Hello Kitty's friend?
And what do little kitties do once they are dressed up? They lap milk out of saucers of course.
And what party would be complete without gifts? Katie couldn't wait to tear through the tissue and pull out all her wonderful surprises. (don't you love all the flowers hanging from the ceiling? They are still up and it creates such a magical effect)
And nothing completes a party like a cake. And with an almost all white cake, I bet you can guess what part all nine girls wanted. Well, except for Katie who wouldn't be turned from the prospect of eating an Oreo eye.
So here Katie makes the wish. She tells me later int he van that she isn't sure she believes wishes come true if you don't tell anyone. I reply "that's true. sometimes you have to tell so others can help you make them come true."
Do you know where this is headed? My curiosity gets the best of me all the time and this is no exception. I explain that if she tells me her wish, perhaps I can help make it come true. And of course, I'm thinking she wants a little sister or a different toy. She looks up at me those trusting 6 year old eyes and says...as her face lights up with joy...."Awesome. I wished for a real fairy to have as a pet. I can't seem to find any, but I'm sure you can help me!"

I was silent for a moment....and then said nothing. After all, who doesn't want to have a real fairy as a pet. I sense some grand hunts in the future.
So after all is said and done...wouldn't you do the same to bring joy to your now six year old? How life flies by.

13 comments:

Melissa Rozeski said...

You are a wonder woman. I feel like such a schmuck for not remembering, but I know you know that I mean well, despite my social retardation. Happy Birthday miss Katie!!! Madeline is making you a card right this minute!

Jim and Shelby Caldwell said...

birthday business, here you come!! wow, I'm really so impressed with your talents. I guess we always get stuck in roles and I was artsy while you were dramatic. :) ha, ha. No, you were the writer, actress and life of the party. Somethings never change, but you keep adding to your scope of talents. I'm always amazed each time I call you that you are at a different project: running, guitar, reading group, cooking group, girl scout leader (hello, mom), teacher's helper, sewing, creating, writing, scrapbooking and somehow managing to keep up on your blogspot. You inspire me.

The Lightle Family said...

Wow, you are wonder woman. Whit wants Hello Kitty for her birthday and all she is getting is a hello kitty cake. Funny how our girls have similiar tastes.

Sullivan Family said...

You are such an awsome mom!! I wish I was as creative as you!! It looks like Katie had a blast at her party! GINA

The Munk Family said...

This is so you Heather. You always make the most amazing parties and are such an Awesome mom.-Val

Evan and Angeli Child said...

Andy and Heather,
It is so fun to read your blog. Congrats on ten years of marriage. It was so fun to read all of the wonderful qualities about Heather. We admire both of you so much. You are great parents and examples. Thanks for sharing your lives with us!
-Evan & Angie

Anonymous said...

Heather, you've got to be the coolest mom I know! I miss your fun parties and ideas!!! Your kids are lucky to have you! Happy Birthday to Katie!!!

Jim and Shelby Caldwell said...

Hello Pretty! I was so in awe with the decor I forgot to even comment that Katie looks so pretty and grown up! It's so fun to see/hear just how long she can talk on the phone!

Aubrey said...

Your kids have the coolest parents! THat is so not fair. I might be calling you with cool birthday party ideas. You guys were so much fun hanging out with. Thanks for making our "long" trip so much fun!

Jeanine said...

That party is every little girls dream! Everything turned out so cute too.

Ashley said...

A fairy wish? I love that girl! You are crazy, I seriously didn't think there was any way you would get Hello Kitty and her friends cut out in time. I would have given up when the black paint smudged!

Unknown said...

I would TRY and do the same, but it just wouldn't turn out as nice...especially those life size painted characters...you are a crazy woman Heather...And, I am so glad that we live far enough away that I am not expected to come to the social event of the week, EVERY week at your house. I could never miss one of your parties, and I think I would always leave feeling like a loser mom;)Expecially because I would never think to have a pet fairy search!

You inspire me while simultaneously making me gag...how is that?

L. Rainbow said...

WOW! I searched the web looking for Hello Kitty Party ideas for my soon-to-be six year old. My Maddie and your Kate sounds like Peas in a Pod. Tinkerbell and Hello Kitty are high on my daughter's list as well! In any case, thanks for the fun party ideas and beautiful decoration inspirations!

Leanne