Sunday, August 17, 2008

the bunnies have come

we were watering our little garden when I made the mistake of asking Katie to turn off the water. And then Andy made the mistake of not checking if Katie turned it off. Hours later, there it was, a flooded back yard swamp. Andy went to mow the back yard and luckily (or at least our form of luck) our mower completely broke down right before he mowed over this little family of bunnies that had made their homes under our garden. With the water flooding them out, these new little babies had crawled (or floated) out of their home and were shivering in the tall green grass. Once I saw them, with their little eyes not yet open and shivering bodies, I knew I was in trouble. Not that I am a fan of bunnies, and definitely don't want them for pets...but I couldn't bring myself to kill them or call Randy over (our resident bunny do awayer person...who though we don't quite know what he does, the bunnies never come back). So I gathered up my rubber gloves, a box of grass clippings and made them a new home.
Katie got into the action and after I dug a little hole in the ground in the forest behind our house, Katie and I placed all the little bunnies there hoping the mother would sniff them out (or that nature would help them...knowing that coyotes would get them if nothing else) but regardless, I did what I could to ensure that they were given a fighting chance. Poor little things.

3 comments:

Sullivan Family said...

Ok, you are much sweeter than we are...we HATE the bunnies we find in our yard, and Reid and Randy must have the same way of getting rid of them! GINA

How is your garden coming along??

always loven life said...

great pictures. I wish our experience was as sweet as yours.

Unknown said...

Poor things. I hope that Mommy Bunny found them and didn't drown under the garden.

And we use Deer Off to keep the bunnies away from our garden. Next year maybe I should try the flooding method. Its seems to work. And my girls would die to see all of those little baby bunnies.