Friday, July 18, 2008

A new dresser

So I am my Father's and Mother's child. Really! They have a big furniture day here where you can set out anything you want, anything at all, and they will come pick it up for free. Well, I happened to notice all sorts of people out "shopping" the curbs and not to be outdone, I loaded up the van and off we went. Andy helped me load this beauty of a 5 drawer dresser into the back of our van, much to his embarrassment (he's not much into junking...as my parents call it), and bring it home. I was looking for something for the boys room, and frankly, who can turn down free.
The big thing is that it was solid wood and very heavy...though in excellent condition. We tried and tried to get this beast to fit into someones closet but it was simply too tall. Andy said it wasn't such a loss since we got it for free, we'd just set it out on our curb. So, while he was in the shower, I maneuvered it into the garage, quickly got out his circle saw, took out the drawers and cut off the top one. (reminded me of my mother who sneakily knocked out a wall in the house that she didn't want because, heck...once the damage is done, you must move forward) I mean, no loss right. If it didn't work, I'd simply set it back out. The dresser quickly went from 5 drawers to 4 and amazingly enough, was now the perfect height to fit in the closet.
(unfortunately I have no before pics as I wasn't sure Andy would be on board with my idea so I had limited time to do this. But you can imagine it if you look at the bottom two drawers and picture them on top) I then flipped it upside down and screwed the top piece back onto the dresser (wouldn't want an untopped on in the closet) and put my muscles to great use.

So now I have a finished, free dresser! Can't beat a little sawing, a little imagination, a little luck, a little hard work, a brilliant woman! and a free dresser!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is awesome Heather...you are so talented at so many things. Seriously, you can do anything.

i love the dresser.

Unknown said...

I am so impressed! Where was I? I thought the pick up day was some time in October! I'm bummed I missed out on some good treasures! You inspire me!

Henlines said...

Way to go Heather!! They did that in Alabama...put anything out on the curb and it was picked up by....? who picks it up? I thought it was the weirdest thing to see people just put their furniture on the curb. That's awesome that you found the dresser and turned into Mrs. McGuiver (sp) :)

The Strattons said...

OH MY GOSH!!.... How the heck are you guys? I cheated & used your link on Janna's blog to spy on you guys. It looks like yall are doing GREAT!! I just wanted to say hi... so... HI!