Sunday, July 27, 2008

the big one will always pick on the next smallest

So here is a typical story of picking on someone that is smaller than you. It begins like this. I announce to Andy that I have once again gone through all his things and have thrown away many many t-shirts. To which he promptly asks for the bag and begins to go through ti to salvage what he can. (which basically means he tries to convince me why he should keep the t-shirts that are ugly or no longer fit or whatever...)

Anyway, he goes through them while I start to get frustrated and list all the reasons why he can't keep all this stuff. He is a certifiable pack rat. Anyway, he is a little miffed. Mean while I have also asked Katie to once again clean her room. If you remember from previous posts, she can't clean without help. But I am resisting as I am in a clean out the closet stage and tell her to just clean it all up. Plus I am trying to prevent the t shirts from landing back in the cleaned out drawers.
In fact I go as far as to tell her (in my best Missy voice) that Mr. Gunny bags will pick up everything in a few minutes if she doesn't put it away So you'll imagine my surprise when 20 minutes later, Katie announces for me to come look and this is what I find. Some sort of trap necklace fairy land (a little like the spider web of mom's string I think...she is so my daughter). so now, not only do we still have a messy room, we have a trap fairy land (which basically amounts to a bunch of bead necklaces that are now tied together) and a pretty proud girl. Well, all that changes in an instant. Andy, after being picked on by his wife, now enters the room with a large garbage bag. He tells Katie that since she has too many toys, he will now go through all of her things and throw stuff away. She begins to cry and insist that she needs all her toys and the reasons why. Andy is ruthless, stuffing the animals and toys in the bag as quick as he can. Andy she is pulling them out as fast as he can put them in. He is getting frustrated and I quietly remind him of a few minutes previously when he was taking out the t-shirts.
Well needless to say...I now have Katie crying, Andy mad, and Baker decided to draw on my wall with a pen. Now I am almost always in control of my emotions and I do not agree with any kind of spanking or corporal punishment, but I lost it. I chucked one of the necklaces that I am carefully trying to unknot at Baker's head. And then my day was complete. Andy is mad at my losing control, I'm mad at my losing control. Baker is crying that I hurt his head (although before you call the police, he is fine) and Katie is crying because her toys are all gone. Ahhh the joys of family life. And after all the rooms are done and I go downstairs for a small break, I return upstairs to find Katie and Baker doing makeup!! oh, you wish you could be a brimhall

4 comments:

Melissa Rozeski said...

I love it!!! These are the days that really make us a family. No matter how bad it gets, we always stick together. Even better is the fact that you and Andy were so traumatized, but the kids probably don't even remember it. Katie's room does look really clean in the end :)

Heather and Eric said...

Wow this is quite the day. I can only wait for experiences like this. By the way, this is Heather Short (Castleton). I just found you blog. I love it! We have a blog if you would like to look at it. It is heathereric.blogspot.com. It was fun to see your cute fam.

Unknown said...

Oh Heather...THANK YOU for the confessional moment. We mothers need to talk about our moments more often...it is so supporting. I hate always just reading blogs about how perfect everything is. I begin to get depressed...love it that you are keeping it real. And, tell Andy to get rid of those t-shirts...next time just make a nice quilt out of them...you know you can...and what would he be able to say?

Angie said...

If they are anything like the t-shirts Jeff holds on to...there may not even be much fabric left to quilt together! :)

I love that even through the chaos you had the presence of mind to take a picture to preserve the moment! We've all been here...but you write it so well!