Thursday, July 03, 2008

and out it came...

For about the last 2 weeks, all we have heard about is the loose tooth. First, Katie couldn't eat because her tooth was loose, then she stopped talking all together as she wiggled and wiggled that tooth. She had several long car trips where all she did was wiggle away. She proudly showed her tooth to anyone who would even glance her way. She had been waiting for a tooth to fall out for many months. And it finally was here. We all asked if she wanted us to pull it out, but no, she always said not to. The came the reunion. Her cousin Brooklyn had hr mom pull her tooth out and it was too much pressure. One look at Aunt Holly and she caved. Aunt Holly put her perfectly manicured nails (the ultimate tooth grabbing tool) into her Little mouth and told Katie to hold still while she looked at how close it was to coming out. She looked and looked and in the next moment, the tooth was in her hand. Katie's eyes went as big as saucers, but she was so proud. She didn't cry or anything. Of course, we woke all the living relatives across the nation up to share her proud news.
The tooth then went into the little Tinkerbell pouch to await the fate of all little teeth.
And then the surprise. The tooth fairy left a trail of pink pixie dust as she gathered up the tooth and left behind a gold "nickel" and a green dollar. (1 to save, 1 to spend). Katie and her cousins quickly followed the tooth fairy dust to see where it led, but as if by magic, the trail disappeared.
All that was left is my oldest child with a gap in her mouth. She seems so old now. One tooth gone and in the next instant childhood will vanish and she will be an adult. I'm not sure I'm ready for her to grow up and face the harsh reality of real life. Living in the land of tooth fairies and pixie dust seems so much more fun. I wish this time could last forever in my little angels life!
Congratulations my little pumpkin! I love you.

3 comments:

Angie said...

I'm glad we were there to see it! A great re-telling! :)

Anonymous said...

Emma recently lost her first tooth. She said to me that she had a loose tooth, and I asked to see it, and she said, "here you go!" and put it in my hand. And that was it. It was very bittersweet for me too. They are just growing up too fast.

Melissa Rozeski said...

It is amazing how much older they look with that first little space in their smile. I know she's been waiting for this for some time. How fun that it happened when she had so many people to celebrate it with her!