Saturday, May 24, 2008

She is the dancing queen!

Katie signed up for Ballet and Jazz with her best friend Madeline this year. She was very excited and loved to go to dance. Then we found out that there was a recital. Now, normally I am all for performances, having a Theatre background, but the costs of such a production blew me away. It was November, we were saving for the costs of travel and Christmas in California and they said they wanted the money for a recital. Money to cover a dress (60) and then 8 tickets (like we really have 8 people to come) (another 55) and pretty soon, a little minute and a half production was costing us alot of money. So I made the executive decision that we just didn't have it at the time. So no recital. It wasn't such a big deal until the day came when they handed every little girl her dream costume. A lime green polka dot number. And Katie stood there thinking, where's my costume??? So I explained why she wasn't going to dance on stage. She got a little teary but understood. Bless her little heart. Life is just like that. And I will probably be the kind of parent that has to teach disappointment. Because I will give my kids everything. Everything I can get at a goodwill or garage sale. And it isn't going to change. When we ever get to the point that we could afford new things, I would probably still go to Goodwill. I love a good bargain. I love stretching my money, but I digress.

so anyway, Katie's teacher at class allowed us to graciously borrow a costume. In Katie's mind she now was beautiful. It didn't matter that it didn't match, just that she got to be special for her moment. I love my daughter for that. I hope she will always remember that she is simply beautiful because she can accept things, love things and smile.



This is Katie's best friend who just moved to Colorado. How we miss this other part of our family!

2 comments:

Angie said...

Katie looks so cute! I really love the first picture with her face in her hands.

As hard as it is not to get everything everyone else has I think it's great that she has learned to be happy being unique!

Ashley said...

Oh, that made me cry a little. We love Miss Katie!