Saturday, May 24, 2008

I'm So Glad When Mommy Comes Home!

Heather and I have a little debate going. One of the things that I appreciate most about Heather is that she does a magnificent job of getting the kids excited for the time when Daddy comes home. She knows that the most fulfilling part of my day is when I walk in the door and my kids run to me, with open arms, yelling, "Daddy's home!"

According to Heather, one area where I don't perform as well as I could is getting the kids hyped up for the rare moments where I am taking care of the kids and she comes home. Her fear is that they will learn to love/get excited for daddy and not feel the same excitement to be reunited with mommy, since she is routinely with them. Consider it a classical example of habituation. I try to calm her concerns by telling her that the kids are just as excited when she gets home and miss her just as much, if not more, than me. It seems our debate around this issue never is resolved, until NOW!

Several days ago I was watching Baker while Heather went to do a letterboxing class at a local event. After checking my email I went to find Baker to see what he was doing to keep himself busy. Much to my surprise, this was what I found when I came upstairs:

For those of you who haven't visited our house (shame on you), this little pink basket holds all of Katie's stuffed animals. The need for Katie to get rid of some of her stuffed pets is another story, but you're talking to the King of Stuffed Pet Collections, a king who didn't relinquish his crown until leaving on his mission. Any how, Baker had pulled out every single stuffed pet so that he could sit inside the basket looking out the window that overlooks the street in front of our house (the window that we affectionately call the "goodbye window" because that is where we all congregate to wave goodbye to one of our family members as they leave our home--another one of Heather's amazing creations). Here the poor boy sat, wailing for his mother to come home. Now, I realize that many of you may be saying, "a wailing toddler is not the same thing as hearing the excited screams of your toddlers as they coming running into your arms" but I submit to you that if we are measuring love this sign of affection speaks volumes. If you are not convinced, I decided to add a little video to support my claim. Granted some of his behavior is effected by the fact that his daddy is videotaping his public display of grief but the gesture still remains. For those of you watching at home, enjoy. And for Heather, please know that you are loved by one and all, but especially by us.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so precious! Go mommy!

Unknown said...

Will you please get that kid his mommy or put down that camera and do something for him? of course you know I am teasing...I am all about capturing those special moments.

Love the goodbye window...Heather is so creative that way. I won't even try to go there...can't even think about it without getting a headache...it is one thing to do something once, but EVERY time someone leaves...that is true motherly devotion that i will NEVER have...impressive nonetheless.

Oh, and, do you think that the king of stuffed animals could come and adopt some of ours? THey are running me out of house and home.

Kich Pwi Pwi said...

This is so cute and funny. I can not believe how much that reminds me of you, Andy. That is totally how we found you under the sink when you were looking for your easter basket and other times. That is such a wonderful thing to capture on tape and show to him later...I really loved seeing that.