Thursday, May 22, 2008

how do you manage creativity?

So I mentioned to Katie that I wanted her to clean her room. She looked at me incredulously and asked "By Myself?" Which then became,
"But you have to help me, I can't do it by myself" while huge tears go rolling down. We have created a monster. One who doesn't clean alone. In Andy's grand therapy of working and helping each other, somehow that corresponds to...I can't clean by myself. Which if I am doing dishes, laundry, other rooms, bathrooms etc...makes it difficult for me to manage. After complaining of this to Andy he suggested giving Katie specific jobs instead of a broad overall, clean your room. So I did. I said, please put all the shoes "Noah's Ark" in the closet. Now growing up, "Noah's Ark" meant, two by two. But in my fantastically independent spirited child, this some how equated to "Look Mom, I made a pattern of shoes" What can you do except smile :)

3 comments:

Angie said...

I love these moments as a mom. It's when you get a little peek into how your children see the world. It's worth it, even if it means mismatched shoes! Good job Katie!

melissa smith said...

wow katie has more shoes than I do. My mom and I had a bet if you would give your cat cpr. I said no way heather would not do that. so you better not okay..

Unknown said...

Never heard Noah's ark, I am going to remember that for whenever my children actually have room in their closet to lay their shoes out like that...she did GREAT!