Thursday, March 23, 2006

Mid-Life Crisis?

Several of you have called and expressed your love and concern as you've received information regarding our current job status. We thank you for the love and consideration. Many of you have also been wondering how I've dealt with the stress associated with this stage of my life. The answer: I avoid it. Instead, I go out and buy things. Somedays I'll get an ice cream cone and some days I buy decorations for my office (ask Heather about my new mini football helmets). The worst, however, came on Friday when I found out that I did not get the job at Oklahoma State. I was so disappointed that I felt like I needed something bigger than an ice cream cone. Imagine Heather's surprise when I drove up in this*!


I know that some of you might be thinking that I am just trying to keep up with the Ward's (Our good friends who recently moved to Tacoma, WA) but I really felt like the timing was right. I mean, what better time to have a mid-life crisis than when you are about to turn 30 and you don't know what you are going to do with the next 5-10 years of your life? And look at it this way, if things don't work out (which we strongly believe they will) at least we can live in our car (of course Katie and Baker would have to live in the trunk). I wonder if BMW knew they would have this kind of healing power when they originally invented their automobiles? Just know that you too can feel this good. Simply go to www.bmw.com and buy some happiness today (Sorry for stealing your motto Matt Smith)!

*For those of you that have not bought my story hook, line and sinker (which I figure is everybody) this car belongs to a good friend of mine. He let me sit in it temporarily and I thought it would be fun to get a picture of me looking all sporty.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with 30 and your new Brimhall Midlife Wisdom. Site is fun bud, take care, teej

Anonymous said...

Andy, I would have died laughing if you had bought that!!! We love your stories and pictures! Tiff

Unknown said...

Andy,

I am sure that this is no consolation to the every grad students' dreaded job search (by the way, we totally understand the stress that you are experiencing) but, LG and I were talking just two nights ago about the men we know that know how to treat their wives. We could only come up with about 6. And, guess what? YOU were at the top!!!!!

So, we decided that you need to write a book entitled "How to treat your wife......( you fill in the blank)". Doesn't that sound like your best seller? Trust me, after our brainstorm the other night, the HUSBANDS of this world, really need your insight into the female species.

Really, you are an amazing man to Heather and we are sure you are just as good of a father, although we have only seen you twice since becoming one. So, according to Ballard's talk last Fall "What Matters Most is What Lasts the Longest"...you are doing AWESOME.

Remember that God will put each of us through our own garden trial...and you not finding a job YET (the keyword being YET) is probably small on the list of trials in your life. And, just as you mentioned, you are being molded through the refining fire.

We know you will continue to be optomistic. Hang in there. We send our love and prayers.

PS....Look for a job in Tennessee...We have plenty of need for good teachers in your field. And, if I can think of any connections that we may have, I will most definitely send them your way.