Wednesday, May 05, 2010

what goes on when Andy's in charge

I wish I had a picture to go along with what I am about to tell you. And please note I love my husband to pieces and he has helped tremendously since I've been in the Hospital. so here goes...

We found out we lost the baby, waited a week to make sure and did a d & c. Thursday the 29th I went in. Wasn't a bad procedure and except for crying as I came out of the anesthesia, had little to complain about.

I went about my daily duties (perhaps a little too enthusiastically) and on Saturday gave Katie a bath and braided her hair with 2 braids for the talent show (which was great fun). By Sunday morning I was in the ER with complications from the d & c. My parents took my kids to church and then Andy drove my two boys to my sisters house (3 hours of driving..how I love Andy) so she could take care of them. We decided Katie would stay to attend school and help me.

So I spend the day and night and day in the hospital and was released Monday afternoon in time to race home to get Katie off the bus.

IMAGINE if you will, how bad my stomach was hurting and the complete belly laugh I had to hold in when Katie gets off the bus and runs up to me. She has on camouflage heels, white socks, bright red spandex tight pants, a very bright blue shirt with the word peace in sparkly pink writing with peace signs all over and then to top it off, she has one braid still in (yes...still from Saturday) and one braid completely missing and her hair hanging in all sorts of wild directions (you know mothers...the kind of kinky weird curls from being in a braid and having then been slept on and not combed at all) so can you imagine what her teacher must have thought?

She had no idea I went to the hospital and that Andy was doing awesome to get her there...no idea that this perfectly stubborn daughter of mine had gotten dressed herself! what she must think!

In the book The Secret Life of Bees the little girl mentioned that you could always tell who had a mother because those girls had their hair done. so I can only hope that the teacher could figure out Katie didn't have her mother there to help...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! That is so hard. How far along were you? We love you.

Unknown said...

Wow, you have been through a lot! Still, your best quality, and the one I miss the most, is your ability to be amused by the simple moments of being a mom. I can picture the moment perfectly! To be totally honest, I have not kept the pictures of Madeline when she came to the hospital to see both Elijah and Autumn because her hair looked so bad from her dad being Mr. Mom. They just don't get it!!! I know Katie is lucky to have a mom like you!!!

The Lightle Family said...

Still thinking about ya and glad you are out of the hospital. The thing with Katie sounds familiar to me last week when I was recovering from delivery. Thom refuses to brush her hair so she did it herself and got herself dressed. The clothes were hit or miss at times, but my husband has been doing his best and I am grateful for it. lol

Jean McKendrick said...

Heather,
Sorry for your loss and the complications that followed. I sure wish you had a picture of your daughter in that outfit! Priceless! You might have to make her dress up again and try and recreate the moment so you can document it.

Melissa Rozeski said...

OH my gosh, we laughed so hard!!! Now Madeline is trying to get some attention by calling her eyes "balls"... I guess I should have filtered that one from the kids! Are we still getting a visit this summer???