Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Bit of Brillance

This story begins on Saturday morning. As always, Heather and I are trying to convince our children that cleaning the house is a fun and exciting activity that every child wishes they could have. And as always, our kids weren't buying it. Instead my little stow away sat downstairs and invented a game that she could share with her mother and father. It was hard for me to be angry with her when she was being so creative. For those of you that are interested, please play along. If we get enough interest I will be contacting Milton Bradley and informing them that we may have a prodigy on our hands.



Just in case you cannot see the image clearly, the two boxes at the bottom that are labeled "M" and "D" are for scorekeeping purposes. Katie understands how much Heather and I enjoy a good competition. The directions are written along the left side. While some of her spelling is off I am constantly amazed at how much Katie can create and figure out in her own mind, without needing assistance. You'll notice the game even comes complete with a beautiful, maturing tree. So the basic premise of the game is this: you take the little red drawing at the top, which represents the top of an acorn, and you try to figure out which drawing on the right accurately completes the picture. This is probably the third or fourth game that Katie has created from scratch, without any prompting. I'd love to see the inner workings of her mind because some of the things that she does fascinate me. Needless to say, at times I have a hard time keeping up with her intellectually. Luckily, I think she will take after her mother in that regard!

(Thank you Andy for that fun post and as her mother may I just add a little bit of news regarding Katie? She was asked to take an IQ test at school. Based on her score, we now know she takes after...drum roll please....both of us of course. She is brilliant and has been placed in the talented and gifted program. She is indeed a smarty. My miracle baby that we weren't supposed to be able to have, one who was born early, had many doctors working with her to walk and talk and I remember being so proud that she could say moo when she turned two. Way to go and show us all!!!)

3 comments:

Jim and Shelby Caldwell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
San Diego Spendloves said...

That is very cute. Katie is definitely a thinker. Glad to see that you guys are doing so well and that you have a third baby that I didn't even know about. So a late congratulations.

Jim and Shelby Caldwell said...

She must take after her Aunt Shelby! :)